Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Difficult Times

I wasn't sure if I should post this update here, but I suppose it's as good a place as any. Mr. E was diagnosed with cancer last Wednesday following two years of unexplained knee pain. It's pretty bad. The tumor, a biphasic sarnovial sarcoma, is the size of an ostrich egg. It's actually located in his calf, but it's pressing on the nerve, which is causing pain in the knee and more recently, foot numbness that extends from heel to pinky toe.

The treatment for biphasic sarnovial sarcoma includes chemo and either amputation or limb salvage surgery. If he goes with the latter, he will also need pre-op radiation. We are coming to terms with the fact that he may lose his leg, or at best, retain one with compromised function. What scares the bejesus out of me is that the leg isn't the problem; the main concern is metastasis, something that this type of tumor is prone to do.


So far, scans have shown that his lungs/spine/liver/etc. are clear. Thank God. In the best case scenario, the tumor is self-contained in the leg, the doctors remove it completely, and it never has the chance to spread. In the second best case scenario, the tumor has spread (albeit on a microscopic level), the doctors remove it, and post-op chemo kills off any baby tumor cells. In the worst case scenario, the doctors remove the tumor, but it has spread microscopically (usually to the lungs), and chemo can't get rid of it. If this happens, it will be extremely difficult to cure him.

At this point, doctors think it's possible that the tumor has spread. Its size is a poor prognostic factor, as well as the fact that it's been in there for so long. At worst, we have been quoted a 25% survival rate over the next 5 years. At best, we have heard 50-60% with the right treatment. We are praying that he is one of the lucky survivors, and I fully believe that if survival were achieved solely through faith, optimism and determination, Mr. E would win this fight. I am praying for luck though, too.

I cannot imagine a world without him. He is my best friend, the father of my children, and the one I want to be with for the rest of my life. I am terrified, blindsided, heartbroken. I am hopeful though, too. Scared, but hopeful.

Anyway. I will try to keep up with as many blogs as possible as we travel down this unexpected fork in our road. I wish you all love and health.

XO, Mrs. E

17 comments:

  1. Sending love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. Praying for him... And for you. I am so sorry y'all are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a scary situation! I will be sending all the positive vibes I can. I cannot possibly imagine how you are dealing with all of this and the babes! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey! I am so sorry that you are going through this. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so sorry to hear this. Sending lots of positive thoughts and love to you all. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh friend. I am so so so sorry. My husband had cancer too, and you know it hits home with me and my nephew. So glad he has a diagnosis so they can move forward with acting on it! God is our healer - I'm believing for a COMPLETE, miraculous recovery! There is so much power when we speak life - so keep declaring that He is healed in Jesus name. Hugs for you. Please keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no I'm so sorry! You are all definitely in my prayers! So awful! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear this! First time commenter, but thinking of you anyway, and sending you the best! Can't imagine what you are going through. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many prayers and good energy coming your way for a successful treatment plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no.... I'm sorry that you're facing such very unexpected, scary news. It sounds like he has some hard choices ahead but is doing all he can to help win the fight. And it's great that his scans so far have come back clear. May that continue! Sending you long-distance hugs, and wishing you both the very best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am heartbroken for you. I can't even imagine what you guys are going through. Huge hugs, hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure where my comment went, but I'm so so sorry. I will keep you all in my prayers. I know you must be inundated with information, but this site might be helpful. https://www.facebook.com/teamkicker It may sound quirky, but I truly believe in fueling your body to help fight cancer. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you and your family. Hold on to your faith during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still keep checking to see if you updated. I'm so sorry you're going through this and I hope and pray you're OK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're in my thoughts. I hope your prolonged silence isn't a sign of the worst case scenario...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no idea if you still check this, but I just wanted to say that I've been thinking of you lately. Hope you, Mr. E, and your sweet babies are doing well <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been thinking of you guys lately and came to see if I may have missed an update. I hope things are okay. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs